Monday, October 1, 2012

OCTOBER...already??

As I wrote the title of this post...I had to look again! Can it really be October already?? There are days that I feel we started the school year  months ago but most of the time, I feel like the kids just walked in the door.
 
On Friday, we wrapped up the month of September (and our 24th day of school) and I am so pleased with how well the kids have adjusted. As mentioned in a previous post, the first three weeks consisted of a lot of kindergarten review, routines, and WELCOME to 1st grade things! :) Today, we started our 3rd week of our hard back reader. The first week (Pam & Sam) we took really slow. There was a lot of whole group instruction. The kids rotated around center activities as I monitored the class progress and finished up some beginning of the year assessments. Last week, we went for it! I introduced all skills as a whole group on Monday. Tuesday-Thursday we worked in our small reading groups & centers. We have 4 rotations, which is perfect for my reading block. The kids did AWESOME! They needed very few reminders as to what was going on during center time. I was so happy with them! So again, today starts week 3 and the kids are already asking if they get to do centers again! This week, the kids will be working at a science/spelling center! We will be focusing on our spelling words, high frequency words, statements, and sequencing in small groups!
 
Each month, we create a craft project to hang from my ceiling. Last month, we created an apple person art project. This month is one of my favorites! The kids are creating BOO socks. I will post pictures this week once they are hanging up! For now, you can see pictures of the kids working on their BOO socks. I even have some video of the kids singing along with our Bible songs! (Most didn't know that I was recording but a few caught on!) I
t is one of the cutest things! :)
 




 
Each month, I decorate our classroom door with the kids pictures!
This month, "1A is BOO'TIFUL!"
 
 
For those that can't make it into the building we have 2 different things hanging in the hall. The kids still have their creation posters in the hall. On Thursday, the kids created a step by step drawing of Johnny Appleseed.  They look awesome! :)
 

 
Have a great Monday! :)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment