Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Happy Rainy Wednesday! Sorry for the delay in my Tuesday update but the computers were being rebooted so my itch to blog had to wait. So, I will give you a wrap up of yesterday now! :)

Tuesday Update

After the first week of school and a 3 day weekend, the children came back eager to learn and refreshed! We worked on our first morning journal assignment. The children had to tell me about 2 things that happened over the weekend! They could write a sentence or write a few words to describe their pictures. Just like in reading, we can write using pictures. The children did a great job focusing on their morning journal, which will become part of our daily routine. I hope you had a chance to see the work your child did!

*Note* I will mention this at back to school night but I rarely spell words for children. I need to see their knowledge and retention of various skills we learn (vowel sounds, blends, digraphs, etc). So, I always tell the children to "do their best!" I love seeing the effort they put into their work. I was the type of student that always wanted to be "perfect!" I learned early in school that I didn't have to be perfect in my class. I just had to be the "perfect me!" I am sure over the course of this year, the children will come home and tell you that I made a mistake! Ahhh, the teacher made a mistake? Yes, I will be the first to tell you that I will read the wrong word & say the wrong thing but IT'S OK! I have to show the kids that it is OK to make a mistake! :) We laugh together and they see that a big dark cloud isn't going to come over you if you make a mistake!

The rain held off for morning recess but kept us inside for our lunch recess. The children played with building blocks, Lego's, Trouble & drew with stencils. The kids are so creative and did a wonderful job sharing and playing with one another. Sometimes rainy day recess is good but I see quite a few happening this week. I will be discussing our rainy day recess dilemma at back to school night. Stay tuned!

One of our projects today was our number book. This activity helps the children review their numbers and number word recognition. It also helps with fine motor skills (using our scissors and glue!)



Off to the right, you will see our writing sample for the day. We practiced short vowel I & the words play and you. Question marks were also introduced. I had to include my favorite sport in our practice sentence!
  

Mrs. E said the students did a great job at the first library class. We will have library on Tuesday afternoons. The children will be able to take out a book that will stay in class or home for the entire week. All books are due back the following Tuesday morning. Please help remind your child to bring their library book to school. If library books are not returned, a new book will not be checked out.


 
We enjoyed some music from "The Learning Station" during our number book project and rainy day recess. If you have any CDs you think the children might enjoy, please let me know!






No comments:

Post a Comment